Wednesday 9 May 2012

Footbridges

I don't want to complain all the time. This isn't what this blog is about, and I'm not a complainer as such I just like to see people do beyond their best.

I'm here for the conversation, for the fun (when that returns to my life post-degree). But I did see this article on the eTV website. It scared me just a bit and to be honest if you read a few of my previous posts you'll know that I'm currently watching the footbridge situation very closely. It might seem insignificant, but actually it is a symbol of everything that is holding Ghana back.

If you have clicked the link you will know the problem I'm addressing today. A footbridge in Kaneshie needs repair after a truck defied rules and attempted to drive under it (it was too tall and cracked the footbridge). The people have waited for the government to fix it but knowing that nothing really ever gets done, they've taken to tempting fate and continue using the footbridge. I don't want to be melodramatic but basically any day now someone or some people could walk across it, fall and die. That is the reality.

So, I am saying here and now to the Minister in charge of footbridges pedestrian transport to have this thing sorted. For our safety. It might be silly to you but I have friends and family who are disabled in different ways and by different causes and what I have seen in my encounter of Ghana is that these people are not considered in the planning or running of the country. I think about my friends and family who will have to struggle for accessibility anywhere. And I think of the families of people who are injured and left disabled as a result of ignorant planning.

On a lighter note, I'll be a graduate in two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment